Neil writes, “I have amended the last section ‘Spiritual Significance’ somewhat, mainly to emphasise that understanding comes with hindsight. The reasons for the present political confusion and turmoil will become clear. My view is that it is necessary to ensure there is not an inappropriate compromise deal (appeasement). No political consensus may be the only way to ensure a proper severance.”
THE SPIRITUAL IMPERATIVE
A spiritual indifference has taken root in the world today. The rulers, leaders, decision makers and diplomats are trying to direct nations and solve problems using the wisdom of this age – their own “wisdom”, world-view, self-interest, conceit and disdain (see 1 Corinthians 2:6, 14.).
As always, God is in control and is working out His purposes. We need to keep our spiritual eyes and ears open in these turbulent times and seek to understand the Kingdom perspective and significance of events. We may be mystified but we can still choose to go with God in the fulfilment of His purposes. His ways are not our ways; however, He wants us to be involved and what matters most is maintaining our relationship with Jesus and doing our utmost to fulfil the great commission.
Is there a link between following biblical guidelines and the wellbeing of the nation? The secular world ridicule suggestions that God is in control. They are mistaken.
An Example of the Significance of Blessing Israel – The Balfour Declaration
The Balfour Declaration of 9 November 1917, promising a national homeland for the Jewish people in Palestine, shows the efficacy of the principle expressed in Genesis 12.3 “I will bless those who bless you”. The declaration, first aired on 2 November, became agreed Government policy a week later. It was heartfelt and undoubtedly blessed the Jews: there was an almost immediate counter blessing!
General Allenby, the British commander in the Middle East, launched an offensive to capture Jerusalem on 31 October 1917. He took Gaza on 7 November and Jaffa on 16 November. As Allenby’s forces approached Jerusalem the German and Turkish forces decided to withdraw from the city.
General Allenby and his commanders walked into the undefended city of Jerusalem on 9 December 2017. That was truly remarkable!
Unfortunately, subsequent governments have not shown unity or clarity in their endeavours to bless God’s chosen people!
I meet many disheartened Christians who do not see God’s hand in the events unfolding in our nation. I, on the other hand, am intrigued and excited by a chain of unexpected outcomes. Examples where the “experts” were confounded:
- The Scottish independence referendum of September 2014 (unity of UK)
- PM Cameron, promising a referendum on EU membership, re-elected to government with an unexpected overall majority – General Election May 2015
- Mr Corbyn elected Labour leader – September 2015 (against all expectations)
- EU referendum (PM hoisted by his own petard having only anticipated a coalition government and hence no likelihood of having to honour the pledge)
- BREXIT – June 2016 (referendum outcome against expectations)
- The Labour Party, which might have influenced the Remain vote, in disarray
- PM Cameron resigns July 2016
- Mrs May elected PM July 2016 (virtually unopposed – a professing Christian)
- PM calls a snap general election June 2017 – unexpectedly loses her majority (against all pundit expectations/forecasts!) and has to rely on DUP support to form a government (the significance of the DUP holding the balance of power becomes more evident as Brexit progresses – unity of UK)
- The pessimistic ‘experts’ have repeatedly been proved wrong:
- The stock market will crash – it has reached record highs
- Unemployment will rise – it has fallen
- The economy will go into recession – the opposite is true
- The value of the pound will fall – it has but that has not been the predicted disaster. It has proved beneficial to trade and made the UK an attractive proposition/haven for overseas investors, the pound is recovering.
Cracks are appearing in the unity of the EU nations: their instability is ignored by the UK prophets of doom who continue their barrage, many demanding a second referendum. The amazing thing is, the pundits are still held in high esteem!
We have a God of the unexpected and the above list indicates that God’s hand is on Great Britain. The significance and progressive nature of each step only becomes clear with hindsight. Similarly, I am sure that the reasons for the current political confusion and government disarray will be apparent “after the event”. I am reminded of Habakkuk; we watch to see God’s plans unfold, confident in the knowledge that however turbulent the immediate future may be, His plans will not be thwarted. Furthermore, God told Habakkuk to tell the nation what was to happen.
I don’t know whether a deal (i.e. with fair contractual agreements) or a no-deal Brexit is best, but He does: instead of being in the worst position, as so many argue, knowing Him puts us in the best position.
We are at a pivotal moment. The signs of demonic influence in the EU are startlingly obvious, to those who have eyes to see and ears to hear. Brexit threatens to hasten the break-up of the EU (I think it was inevitable). Whatever people may say; Brexit is a calamity for the EU. God is rescuing the UK from an unholy alliance, to be a tower of strength, a light in a dark place, a refuge and a sanctuary.
Our God is not a God of compromise. Pray, pray and pray again for a clean, fair and complete break from the EU. Pray for the adoption of the underlying principle that UK policies will be biblically based and will seek to bless the Jewish people (this does not mean endorsing or condoning any unreasonable actions/words of secular authorities or leaders. It does mean help in safeguarding the rights and security of Israel, and of the Jewish people worldwide).
Watch and be amazed: we constantly underestimate the greatness of our God and we constantly underestimate the power and authority of His Word. He is birthing something new for the nations of the world, which apparent from the shaking and repositioning we are witnessing. It heralds the time of tribulation, which will culminate in the return of Jesus.
Footnote: Neil has this undated paper which I’ve termed an ‘Addendum’ to the above.
[Photo Credit: Paul Luckcraft Meet Neil Mackereth, author of ‘SIGNS’]