Further to the 1 o’clock News-blog of a fortnight ago on the EU turning against rebels and leaders in ‘financial crisis on steroids’, Bloomberg’s Business Day in Zambia asks Could Covid-19 see a break-up of the EU? Italy thinks so (published 21st April).
First, the institution turns against its national leaders. Now, its ‘foundational’ state is beginning to turn against the EU – so the bloc is now turning in against itself!!
This report by John Follain and Byand Alessandra Migliaccio, presumably penned in the country’s capital, carries the strap-line: ‘Italy has long been critical of the bloc, but still expected the EU would come to its aid as the coronavirus struck; it was wrong’
In alerting me, watcher Roger Jervois in South Africa says its “Worth a look…the last few paragraphs are very telling… “snakes and jackals”!
The report opens (emphases mine):
‘Rome — The foundations for the EU were laid six decades ago in Rome and some officials in the Eternal City are starting to think they might just be seeing the beginning of its break-up.
‘After Boris Johnson and the Brexiteers laid to rest the carefully cultivated myth of the EU’s irreversibility, Europhiles argued that Britain was a special case, an island nation that could never fully commit to the continent. It’s different when Italy turns against you.
‘The bloc’s third-largest economy has flirted with Euro-scepticsm before as it railed against budget rules or struggled to cope with successive waves of refugees heading north from Africa. But when Covid-19 struck Lombardy, Italians still expected Europe would come to their aid with no questions asked.
‘Instead, what they think they got was fine print and a cold shoulder…’
The authors conclude:
‘Too little too late
‘But they hate the way it’s been done.
‘They remember that moment in February when the Carnival of Venice was canceled, the coronavirus was spreading through Italy’s prosperous heartland and the rest of Europe turned its back.
‘Germany and France banned the export of face masks and gloves. Other partners imposed border controls. Lagarde at the ECB triggered a historic sell-off in Italian (and European) markets and the Dutch finance minister Wopke Hoekstra revived the arguments of the debt crisis, managing to imply that Italy was to blame for its plight.
‘Those policy settings have all been adjusted since then as it became apparent that Italy has been the victim of a global pandemic. European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen even offered an apology for not “being there”.
‘But the damage was done. And it’s not hard to imagine how things unravel further from here.
‘Conte governs at the head of an unstable coalition led by the anti-establishment Five Star Movement and the establishment Democratic Party that only came together last year to keep out their mutual foe, Matteo Salvini of the right-wing populist League.
‘The League is the most popular party in Italy, now leading the Democrats by about eight percentage points and Salvini is waiting for another chance to seize power.
‘In the past, he has toyed with the idea of ditching the euro. But as he rose to national prominence he read the mood of the country and went out of his way to play that down.
‘Not any more.
“This isn’t a ‘union,’ Fiv” Salvini said on March 27. “This is a nest of snakes and jackals.” Then he set out his pitch to Italians. “First we defeat the virus, then we have a rethink about Europe. If it helps, we say goodbye. Without even a thank you.”
Previous postings tracking fulfillment of David Noakes’ prophecy of the fall of the EU (published on 17 November 2015). (See also the couple of dozen prophecies of Brexit, especially item 12 “Then Europe imploded on itself, as if it was in tatters“):
- #13.1 – Brexit May Lead To War (5 Dec’16)
- #13.2 – The Demise of the EU (23 Feb’17)
- #13.3 – Keep Watching the EU’s Fall (29 May’18)
- #13.4 – Keeps rolling on: Brussels ‘Gravy Train’ Breaks Down (12 Jun’18)
- #13.5 – Rolls on – Migration, EU’s Collapse – prophetical football? (28 Jun’18)
- #13.6 – yet again, on 9/11: 3 signs in 1 day of the EU’s shaking!! (10 Nov’18)
- #13.7 & #14.2 – ‘Watching’ Public Press Foresees A Leaderless EU! (7 Nov’18)
- #13.8 – Latest on EU’s Financial Shaking (20 Dec’18)
- #13.9 – Europe Is In Danger Of ‘Sleepwalking’ To Its Doom (13 Feb’19)
- #13.10 – German Alarm Over Dangerous Ultimatum Over Brexit (21 Mar’19)
- #13.11 – Ignored by news: ECB reached the end of the road (28 Mar’19)
- #13.12 – Most Europeans Believe EU Could Disintegrate…’ (16 May’19)
- #13.13 – Investment Analyst Says EU Collapse Now “Imminent” (30 May’19)
- #13.14 – British MEPs Turn Their Backs On EU’s Pagan Anthem (2 July’19)
- #13.15 – Germany and the Eurozone ARE Shaking (8 Aug’19)
- #13:16 – Stark Warning of the Eurozone’s Shaking (9 Oct’19)
- #13:17 – Panicked EU Goes Into Brexit Meltdown (12 Feb’20)
- #13.18 – EU’s Foreign Policy at Heart of its Eventual Fall (19 Mar’20)
- #13.19 – First Brexit now Pandemic, Deepen Cracks and Split EU (31Mar)
- #13.20 – EU Turns Against Rebels & Leaders in Financial Chaos (9 Apr’20)