Developments over the weekend in Iranian and Russian activity behind the Hezbollah’s preparations to launch an attack against Israel’s northern borders with Lebanon and Syria, together with Israel’s strikes against sophisticated weapons factories and arsenals there, are building up to such an extent that Israel is now on military alert.
Yesterday’s sequential headlines on Koenig’s World Watch Daily read as follows:
- Israel-Syria clash: with missile fire Assad is changing rules of the game
- How Russia is turning Syria into a major naval base for nuclear warships
- Syrian UN envoy: Putin sent messages to Israel its freedom to act in Syria is over
- Syrian president Assad: we’re counting on Russia to prevent a conflict with Israel
- ‘Hezbollah is preparing for war’.
Finer details may be read in Debkafile ‘exclusive reports’, which include intelligence on Iran’s involvement at top military level:
- Israeli-Russian clash over Hizbollah’s Golan grab
- Israeli drone crashes. Russia fails to de-escalate.
Ezekiel: Gog & Magog
The Gog and Magog war against Israel is described in chapters 38 and 39 of the Book of Ezekiel. The prophet received a word from the Lord to ‘set his face’ against Gog, leader of a coalition of evil nations north of Israel and which include Persia/Iran. Most Bible scholars regard those named peoples as coming from the land between and north of the Black and Caspian Seas. ie modern Russia. The Lord has a purpose for this battle, viz:
“So I will make My holy name known in the midst of My people Israel. I will not let them profane My name anymore – Then the nations shall know that I am the LORD, the Holy One in Israel.” (Ezek 38:7 NKJV)
This battle also features in Revelation 20:7-10 as precursor to the battle of Armageddon and satan’s doom in the fiery lake.